Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Saint-O-Lanterns

In keeping with our family tradition, we carved "Saint"-O-Lanterns with the kids to take to our All Saints Party tomorrow night. This, however, was the first year that the boys were able to carve theirs by themselves!! (New categories for the contest prompted this.) I was actually really surprised at just how well they did. All I did to help them was to draw the lines on the pictures they drew to show them where to poke holes, and then helped them scrape the few areas that needed scraping!! There were a few times I needed to help them get their knives started as well... But they qualify for "mostly kid carved". Here are a few pictures... I'll let you know how they do!

The cleaning began -- last year they refused to do this... But this year they had to, if they wanted to carve their pumpkin! ;-)

This is Rascal outlining his design.


The actual carving of the pumpkins, hubby joined in once again with another interesting design.


And here are the finished products:

Captain choose to carve the "Last Supper"

Rascal carved "The Birth of Christ"

I used Twinkle Toes pumpkin and carved a ship,
or rather "The Bark of Peter"
(A ship was a symbol of the early Church)

Hubby carved "Bernini's Colonnade" at St. Peter's in Rome

It was quite fun and actually quite a bit easier this year with the boys carving their own!
And I think they turned out pretty good, Don't you?

4 comments:

  1. Jessy, i love all these pumpkins so much! Im so jelous that 5 year olds can do better than me at carving them! But i must ask, who carved the simply AMAZING ship one? I LOVE IT! skill!!
    <3 mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg..theyre so good! Yea i agree with Butcho..lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jessica
    Your's should have won a prize, too.
    Loved that ship

    Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Christianized Jack-O-Lanterns. That's something to write about! Amazing.

    ReplyDelete

You can find my Comment Policy and Guidelines here. Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I love hearing from my visitors here at Shower of Roses! May God bless you all!

Note: All comments are moderated.