This next weeks theme, starting today, is based on:
"The Wind and Sea Obey Him."
I added the bible versus to read, in case any of you would like to join in, but don't have the Garden of the Good Shepherd. Matilda and I put our brains together to try and come up with ideas for this week. Here us what we came up with:
The Boat : Read Matthew 8:23-27
- Make an Origami Boat
- Read Boats by Anne Rockwell
- Make Banana Boats (Matilda suggested this, and my kids would love it! I picked up some bananas on the way home from Mass!)
The Mast: Read Ezekial 27:4-7
Since the Cross is the "Mast" of the Catholic Church, we will either:
- Paint cross on the sail of a model boat with daddy
- Make Bread Dough Crosses page 136 of Catholic Traditions
The Sail : Read Acts 27:33-44
- Hang sail on mast of model boat with daddy
- Experiment with "What sinks and what floats."
- You could do this Halves Boat Craft
- Make Deviled Egg Sailboats (Michele sent me this link!) Aren't they cute?
The Net : Read Mark 1:16-20
- Matilda recommended making one of these.
- Make a Sea of Galilee Touch Picture from Little Saints Program.
Sea of Galilee Touch Picture
Need: Pattern #67, print this picture; brown construction paper background; cotton balls; sandpaper; aluminum foil; netted produce bag cut in a 6"x4" diamond; brown, dark blue, and light blue markers/crayons; glue stick; scissors.
- Color boat brown, sea and sky blue.
- stretch apart cotton balls and glue on clouds.
- Staple on netting over side of boat for fish net.
- Crumple aluminum foil and glue on as rocks.
- Glue on sand paper to make beach area.
- Mount onto brown background.
- Discuss and experiment with the sense of touch.
The Fishes : Read John 21:4-8
- Make a home for a Christian Fish. Crafty Catholic Kids page 93.
- Buy a goldfish to have as our first ever pet!
- Play Go Fish
- Fish Snack: Need: Blue napkins, medicine cups, pretzels, gold fish crackers, peanut butter. Open up napkin and place fish in the middle. (The napkin is the ocean.) Have peanut butter in the cup. (This is the bait cup.) Use pretzels for fishing rods. Dip in bait (peanut butter) and catch a fish. Eat fish and bait. Keep fishing until all the fish are eaten.
- Fish in the Sea Snack: Need: Italian bread or French bread, Cream cheese, Goldfish crackers, Blue food coloring, Slice bread. Mix blue food color and cream cheese. Spread cream cheese on bread. Put goldfish in the blue sea.
The Barbecue : Read John 21:9-14
- Grill some fish out on the patio, of course!
The Leviathan : Read Psalm 104:24-30
- Matilda's family will be heading to their awesome local aquarium... I wish we had one!!
- We might possibly have calamari with/for dinner--I think Costco has a frozen calamari meal that we have tried and liked in the past.
- We will also read the story St. George and the Dragon in preparation for the feast of St. George on April 23rd. Also, with the Feast of St. George coming up, DON'T MISS clicking on Matilda's links. She made a totally awesome dragon for her kids to slay last year! I absolutely LOVE it!!!
Hope you all are having a wonderful weekend! God Bless!