Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Celebrating the Feast of Our Lady of Mt Carmel

Today is the feast day of Our Lady of Mount Carmel.

The children and I began our day with a few prayers in her honor.

During story time I read The Brown Scapular, by Mary Fabyan Windeatt, to the children while they colored pictures for their Liturgical Notebooks.


The children watched a movie about our favorite Carmelite (any guesses?!?!), while I baked a cake.

For our cake I used a simple yellow GOLD cake mix (baked in a 9x13 pan and cut in half) and topped with chocolate brown frosting. I used two brown pipe cleaners for the cord, and then decorated it with some white frosting.

My sister Julianna stopped by for a couple minutes before work, and I talked her into drawing an image of Our Lady, since she is such an artist. Didn't she do a beautiful job?! I did the (attempted) writing on the right. (I am very new to cake decorating, but it sure is fun!!) In case you can't read it, it says:

"Whosoever dies wearing this SCAPULAR
shall not suffer eternal fire..."

Tomorrow we will be going to a friend's home to make new Scapulars, and my children are very excited!

If you would like to read about the Scapular, you can check out a couple of my old posts, or head over to A Catholic Life.

So, are you wearing your scapular? I am wearing mine!

9 comments:

  1. okay, now that is just too cool! I've never seen a scapular cake - I'll have to show this to my sister who'll be entering a Carmelite order in a month or so! Really, really awesome cake! [i'll be using that one! - you've got the best ide-ers!]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Shelly!

    That is AWESOME that your sister will be entering a Carmelite Order! What a blessing for your family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blessed Feast Day to you! This blog of yours really is like a 'shower of roses' for your readers. And yes, we have our scapulars on! ;-) Great cake!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK, here's my newbie Catholic question for the day...

    ...Are scapulars worn under or over the clothes? I know very little about them. Our son was presented with one at his 1st Holy Communion and Fr. said a little diddy about it then, but that's the extent of my knowledge...

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Christie ~

    You can wear it either way, but they are typically worn under one's clothing.

    You can check out this link for even more information:
    http://www.fisheaters.com/scapulars.html

    I hope that helps! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The cake looks great!! We are kind of caked out after the big flower birthday, so we did not do the cake!! You did a super job on this feast! (as you always do!)

    I want to do that rosary cupcake thing sometime and have a lot of people over, want to come? :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd LOVE to come Jamie!

    I just looked up the directions on mapquest, and you are ONLY 1925.37 miles away! How long do you think it would take me to get there?? :o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. How fun this is to see a cake made like a scapular! You are so creative, and bless your family. They will have so many fond memories of life at home celebrating the liturgical year with you.

    ReplyDelete

You can find my Comment Policy and Guidelines here. Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I love hearing from my visitors here at Shower of Roses! May God bless you all!

Note: All comments are moderated.