Tuesday, July 8, 2008

A Summertime Plan

After coming home from a 3 week vacation, and diving right into 2 weeks of swimming lessons, our summer got off to a rather crazy start.

Now that we can settle into a more normal routine, it is high time for me to get organized and motivated. And not only me... MY KIDS NEED MOTIVATION TOO! I am so tired of them asking to "watch a movie," or hearing that they are "bored."

Inspired by my cousin Margaret, I decided to implement a summertime plan called "The Ticket to Summer!"


All summer long the children can earn tickets for doing any of the items on the list that I have given them. These items are all things I would like them to do this summer, but which they are not always motivated to do on their own.

Basically, you can earn one ticket by:
  • Getting up and dressed for morning prayers by 7:30 am (Mon-Fri) without being woken by mom or dad.
  • Doing all the chores on your chart by 9:00 am(Mon-Sat)
  • Read a book for 30 minutes
  • Practice on the Piano for 30 minutes
  • Write a 10 line letter to a friend or family member
  • Play nicely with the baby for 30 minutes
  • Read to the girls for 20 minutes
  • Do 2 pages in Handwriting workbook
  • Do 2 Math worksheets
  • Do 1 lesson of geography
  • Spend time exploring outside and then add a page to your nature journal
  • Do an extra job for Mom

You can earn two tickets if you:
  • Memorize one poem or song
  • Memorize a new prayer or bible verse
  • Memorize 25 States and Capitals
  • Ask for, and receive training on, a new chore from mom
  • Fix a meal (with the approval of mom)

The children can redeem their tickets for a number of different things:
  • 20 minute turn on an Educational Computer Game – 2 Tickets
  • 20 minutes on EWTN Kids – 2 Tickets
  • Stay up for an extra 30 minutes – 2 Tickets
  • Watch a video/movie for 30 minutes – 2 Tickets
  • Go to the Library for Story time (July only) – 4 Tickets
  • Go to the local Bookstore and choose a new book – 6 Tickets
  • Go to the Kid Zone – 10 Tickets
  • Go out for Ice Cream – 10 Tickets
  • $5.00 to do something fun (lunch, ice skating, bowling) – 15 Tickets

I also love my cousins idea of having a biweekly
"Good Behavior Drawing."

In addition to the above, the children can also earn tickets for good behavior that go into a jar. Twice a week, I will draw a ticket from the jar for a prize. They can not ask for these tickets, but, if I catch them being exceptionally good, I will give them a ticket. The better they are the more chances they will have of winning a prize. They can choose there prize themselves, from the prize basket. The prizes include a $5.00 gift card to Target, a couple Activity Books, some art supplies, water balloons and a few toys.

So far, this morning, it is off to a WONDERFUL start! The children are dressed, chores are done, and the boys have both been reading for the past 30 minutes. Hopefully, this enthusiasm will stick!

20 comments:

  1. Thank you Jessica! this is an awesome and amazing [tangible] idea! and thanks to your dear cousin :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is brilliant! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea, Jessica. If it works then keep doing what works!

    Only 2 mo. left of summer. Not long enough for me. I want 5...or maybe 10!!!???!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so cool!!!! Wow!! I just made job charts today. I love the positive reward thing, I'm going to HAVE to show my hubby this!!!

    Where did you get the tickets?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brilliant, happy ticketing : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. So far so good! The kids are LOVING this! However, I am having to share the computer since EWTN kids is their favorite reward, at this point, and they are cashing in their tickets as fast as they can earn them! :)

    Jamie ~ I picked up the roll of tickets last night at WalMart. It was only a few dollars.

    ReplyDelete
  8. No that's excellent and creative parenting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's such a great idea! We're quite bored ourselves. And the children have watched far too much television.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am inspired! We have spent the majority of our time at the pool (our community has one that our HOA pays for). It's been too bloomin' hot to go to the playground!

    I am pulling out the tickets today! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this idea, thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad my idea helped you. I'm still working out a few little kinks with mine. Some things are too many tickets. Some things are not enough. But, all in all it's helping me too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh! It is helping a ton, and my children are LOVING it!! I agree though, there are a few things that I need to fine tune as well. But, for the most part, it is going great! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  14. :-D I 'bumped into' your blog a few weeks ago and I must say I love it! Thank you for sharing such nice things with the rest of the world. I'd just love to give you a little present: http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h146/albares/Bruselasetc241.jpg

    Lots of love and God bless!

    María

    PS - I wish one day I´ll have a family like yours, it´s lovely! Keep on the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Maria~ Thank you very much for the beautiful picture! I love it! God Bless, Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is a very good idea. Thank you! God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great post! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. LOVE it! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That's a fabulous idea!! Love it!

    ReplyDelete

You can find my Comment Policy and Guidelines here. Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I love hearing from my visitors here at Shower of Roses! May God bless you all!

Note: All comments are moderated.