Tuesday, October 6, 2009

The Oregon Coast ~ Devil's Punchbowl and Cape Foulweather

~ Devil's Punchbowl ~

"During winter storms, water from the restless ocean slams with a thundering roar into a hollow rock formation shaped like a huge punch bowl. The surf churns, foams, and swirls as it mixes a violent brew. The punch bowl was probably created by the collapse of the roof over two sea caves, then shaped by wave action."





~ Cape Foulweather ~

"Cape Foulweather was discoverd and named in 1778 by the famous British navigator Captain James Cook. It was at this Point that Captain Cook first sighted the mainland of North America on the Pacific Coast, and one of the sudden storms which greeted his arrival almost put an end to his historical expedition. The fierceness of the storm is reflected by the name he gave this rugged landmark - Cape Foulweather."


The Lookout


Hangin' On, 500 feet above sea level!


The breathtaking view from inside The Lookout!



2 comments:

  1. Devil's Punchbowl is right next to the bay where we take out kids tidepooling a lot! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm reading all your old posts and finally got to this one. Back in 2009 my parents and I went to Devil's Punchbowl. It was so cool until my dad almost didn't get off the rocks in time with the tide coming in.

    ReplyDelete

You can find my Comment Policy and Guidelines here. Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I love hearing from my visitors here at Shower of Roses! May God bless you all!

Note: All comments are moderated.