The Feast of St. Therese is celebrated on October 1st on the New Calendar, and on October 3rd on the Traditional Calendar. Here are some ideas to celebrate this special feast:
- Pray a Nine Day Novena to St. Therese. You can find a few options here, here and here.
- Pray the Rosary with St. Therese.
- Pray a Novena to St. Therese Beginning on her Feast Day.
- Pray the Litany to St. Therese of the Child Jesus.
- Pray the Morning Prayer written by St. Therese.
A MORNING PRAYER WRITTEN BY ST. THERESE
O my God! I offer Thee all my actions of this day for the intentions and for the glory of the Sacred Heart of Jesus. I desire to sanctify every beat of my heart, my every thought, my simplest works, by uniting them to Its infinite merits; and I wish to make reparation for my sins by casting them into the furnace of Its Merciful Love.
O my God! I ask of Thee for myself and for those whom I hold dear, the grace to fulfill perfectly Thy Holy Will, to accept for love of Thee the joys and sorrows of this passing life, so that we may one day be united together in heaven for all Eternity. Amen.
- Make little éclairs, since they were St. Therese's favorite treat.
- Bake the Rose Petal Coconut Cake suggested in My Nameday, Come for Dessert for dessert.
- Serve Rose Wine or perhaps the Rosy Punch, suggested in The Cook's Blessings for the adults and a non-alcoholic version for the children.
- Bake a Pink Rose Cake using strawberry cake mix and a rose shaped pan or cupcake pan.
- Make roses out of fruit roll-ups to decorate cakes and mini cupcakes.
- Serve French Food today in her honor. Perhaps French Toast or crepes for breakfast!
- A couple other cupcake options are Barbara's St. Therese Cupcakes and these Rose Basket Cupcakes.
- Here is an instructional video on how to make marzipan roses.
- Catholic Culture also suggests a Rose Leaf Jam.
- You can also purchase St. Therese of Lisieux Tea from Sancti Teas.
- Make St. Therese "Shower of Roses" Chocolates to give to friends and family or for party favors.
Reading, Audio and Video:
You can check out a whole bunch of great books about St. Therese here.
Books for Children::
- Catholic Treasure Box Books
- The Little Flower of Jesus
- Saint Therese of Lisieux: And the "Little Way" of Love
- The Little Flower: The Story of Saint Therese of the Child Jesus
- God's Little Flower : The Story of St. Therese of Lisieux
- Saint Therese and the Roses (Vision Books Series)
- Olivia and the Little Way
- St. Therese: The Little Flower
- Saint Therese of Lisieux: The Way of Love
- The Story of a Soul
- The Story of a Family
- Therese and Lisieux
- Archbishop Fulton Sheen's St. Therese - A Treasured Love Story
- St. Therese, The Little Flower: The Making of a Saint
- God's Little Flower: The True Story of St. Therese of Lisieux
- Fulton Sheen Classics: St. Therese Sermons
- Fulton Sheen on the Spirituality of St. Therese of Lisieux
- Therese (Score)
- Any of her quotes would be wonderful. You can find a few of them here.
- Copy work I created at Writing Wizard for "T" Week from the quote in An Alphabet of Catholic Saints.
- Knit a St. Therese Doll. The pattern can be purchased here from my friend Amy. This is the beautiful one she made for my little Rose. (You can also purchase a darling St. Therese Doll from Saintly Silver and another of our favorites from Catholic Child.)
- Embroider a St. Therese Doll using Charlotte's lovely pattern. Here is the one that I embroidered last year during "E" Week.
- Cut out the St. Therese Paper Dolls and laminate them, or color your own from Paper Dali!
- Make a St. Therese Spoon Saint.
- Create a St. Therese Faith Folder. (You can see samples of my girls completed St. Therese Folders here and here.)
- Another idea is to print out one of the many online images of St. Therese, and make homemade holy cards.
Printable Activities: (From St. Therese Catholic Church *currently not available, so I removed the links. I will keep looking to see if I can find them elsewhere...)
- St. Therese Crossword - Can You Find Your Way?
- Down the Garden Path
- St. Therese Planting Seeds on Earth (Fill in the Blanks)
- Promises, Promises, Promises (Word Scramble)
- St. Therese Word Search
- St. Therese Speaks (Alphabet Key)
- St. Therese Speaks Puzzling Words (Puzzle)
- Round and Round we Go (Circle Puzzle)
- A Real Handful (Matching Game)
Updated 10-01-11 to add a couple printables that I made in word, inspired by the printables listed above and pictured below that are no longer available:
- Here are a couple great coloring pages of St. Therese as a child and in her habit. (Thank you Charlotte!!)
- Color the St. Therese page in Fenestrae Fidei.
- Print and color one of these coloring pages from The Little Ways.
- Color the coloring page that matches the picture in An Alphabet of Catholic Saints from Catholic Artworks.
- Color the lovely St. Therese Paper Doll from Paper Dali!
- Here is a beautiful stained glass coloring page.
"You know well enough that Our Lord does not look so much at the greatness of our actions, nor even at their difficulty, but at the love with which we do them."
St. Therese ~ Pray for Us!