Friday, September 30, 2011

Little Flowers Girls' Club ~ The Gift of Wisdom

I can't believe that we are already beginning the 4th, and final, YEAR of the Little Flowers Girls' Club!  It seems like just yesterday that my girls were just 3 and 5, and I was preparing for our very first meeting...   As always, they were very excited!

Thankfully, this year, I had a chance to prepare over the summer.   Since Wreath IV was created with older Little Flowers in mind, I had quite a bit of modifying that needed to be done for the younger girls in my group - mainly when it came to them being able to complete the monthly assignments to earn their patches.   This resulted in the creation of a Wreath IV Lap Book - allowing them to simply (or with lots of detail, depending on their age and ability) fulfill some of the assignments from the Member's Guides.

Like I have done in the past, our meetings this year will consist of Prayer, Coloring Pages, a Lesson on the virtue (or rather Gift of the Holy Spirit, since Wreath IV is all about the 7 Gifts of the Holy Spirit), Notebook Pages, the new addition of the Lap Book Mini Books, Snacks, and sometimes Games (when time allows).   It is going to be another great year!

The meeting just flew by, with all the fun plans I had made that kept us pretty busy, that I kept forgetting to take pictures.   Thankfully I did take a some before the meeting started, and a couple during, so I do have a few to share with you all today!

~ Coloring Pages ~


St. Teresa of Avila from Waltzing Matilda (used for our craft!)
St. Teresa of Avila from Catholic Artworks Faith Keepers CD




~ Lesson on the Gift of Wisdom ~

Wisdom: The Pearl of Great Price

I had asked this wonderful priest to come and give a talk to the girls on Wisdom, but unfortunately he was transfered, after just two months of being in our area, before we were able to have our first meeting, so I had my girls watch this homily in preparation for the meeting.  During our meeting,while going over the mini books, we talked about the gift of Wisdom and St. Teresa of Avila.

Wisdom is similar to knowledge and comprehension yet is it different. Wisdom offers us guidance and understanding of the really important things in life. Wisdom helps us to make good choices. It is like a compass within us. Conscience is a part of wisdom. We are born with wisdom but we learn how to listen and use it better as we grow and age. Sometimes we gain a deeper appreciation of wisdom and use it better as a result of making mistakes and learning from them.


Additional Resources:


~ Wreath IV Lap Book Mini Books~



I started by introducing the girls to the concept of Lap Booking, this will be the first Lap Book for most of them, and showed them the sample Lap Book I created over the summer.    I loved how excited they were to see the project!

Prior to the meeting I printed out all the supplies we would need for the whole year.  I also thought that I would pre-make the actual Lap Book, but decided to have the girls do this during the meeting, so that they could see how it is done.    I asked each of the girls to share something from the "My Catholic Faith" mini-books (which I had emailed to the moms for the girls to complete before the first meeting).


It was fun to see all the variety, stickers, artwork, and pictures that the girls included as they completed the pages for their Birth, Baptism, 1st Holy Communion, Patron Saints, etc.

We then went on to get started with assembling the Lap Books and adding the mini-books for this meeting:
We didn't have nearly enough time to finish everything, but with all the extras necessary to get started, I figured we would run out of time.   The girls went home with some unfinished mini-books to continue working on at home between now and our next meeting in a couple weeks.


~ Notebook Pages ~


For the notebook pages, I used the motto for Wisdom, A Love Song by St. Teresa of Avila, an image of St. Teresa of Avila, a definition on the gift of Wisdom from the wonderful book My Catholic Faith, a prayer to St. Teresa of Avila, and acrylic gemstones. You can download my document here.

Here is a picture of the sample page I created:



Here are the girls completed notebook pages:



~ Craft ~

Since one of the symbols for St. Teresa of Avila is a "Book," I came up with a "Wisdom of the Saints" Journal for the girls to make as our craft, in which they can record their favorite quotes from the saints! 


Directions can be found here:  "Wisdom of the Saints" Journal


~ Snack Time ~


Saintly Symbols Cupcakes :: St. Teresa of Avila

White Cupcakes baked in Jasper Colored Cupcake Holders, topped with Buttercream Frosting and a chocolate Book (a symbol of St. Teresa of Avila) and a white candy Dove (for the St. Teresa of Avila quote below). 
Served with Apple Juice  - our meeting was on Michaelmas after all! 

"Then I saw over my head a dove, very different from those we usually see, for it had not the same plumage, but wings formed of small shells shining brightly. It was larger than an ordinary dove; I thought I heard the rustling of its wings. It hovered above me during the space of an Ave Maria. But such was the state of my soul, that in losing itself it lost also the sight of the dove. My spirit grew calm with such a guest; and yet, as I think, a grace so wonderful might have disturbed and frightened it; and as it began to rejoice in the vision, it was delivered from all fear, and with the joy came peace, my soul continuing entranced. The joy of this rapture was exceedingly great; and for the rest of that festal time I was so amazed and bewildered that I did not know what I was doing, nor how I could have received so great a grace. I neither heard nor saw anything, so to speak, because of my great inward joy. From that day forth I perceived in myself a very great progress in the highest love of God, together with a great increase in the strength of my virtues. May He be blessed and praised for ever! Amen.

On another occasion I saw that very dove above the head of one of the Dominican fathers; but it seemed to me that the rays and brightness of the wings were far greater. I understood by this that he was to draw souls unto God."  - The Life, Chapter XX.




~ Group Photo ~ 



Be sure to check the Shower of Roses Little Flowers Girls' Club link-up during the next few weeks, as all of the girls that are "joining" our group online/at home share pictures from their first meetings for this year!  

Grant me the Spirit of Wisdom that I may despise the perishable things of this world and aspire only after the things that are eternal. 

St. Teresa of Avila, 
pray for us! 

6 comments:

  1. I am so happy to have come across this. In the past two years I have prayed about driving out of town to join a LB class. I have also prayed about starting one here with our girls. Such a wonderful post!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mouth dropped when I read this was your final year with LF. It went so fast!

    Have you thought about what to do next year? My SIL just started the Little Women's Hospitality for the older girls. The first meeting was a lot of work but it was SO SO BEAUTIFUL!

    I know the program starts the girls with this at 10, but I'm wondering if you can find something similar for your girls.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! I actually have already purchased all the materials for the Little Women's Hospitality Program for next year. It looks wonderful and I am looking forward to doing it with the girls! I have already talked to the moms in my group, and I think for that program we will rotate homes and hosting :D!!!!

    I may continue to do a "review" of Little Flowers with my girls, at home on our own, as well. But I want to take a break from hosting meetings so that I am not burned out and will be ready to start a new group when Rose is 5 or so.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely, I recommend your site to so many. Thank you for making this such a lovely stop as a resource to make lighter work. We are doing the second year of Little Women and looking forward to it so much. Even though it may seem silly the trip to the department store china section was so much fun. Nothing was broken, and we tried out the settings as eleaborate as we could. We chose our favoite patterns, girls comparing it to their mother's and grandmother's patterns as well as to what their moms chose that day. The department store was so generous in letting us do this. Of course, we stopped for tea and sweets after.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jessica! God bless you for all that you do to help us, your sisters in Christ and fellow Mothers! I appreciate so much all that you do and I am praying for you!

    Our LF group is just starting up again this week. I came here to find your help on the first Wreath IV lesson on Zeal/ St. Mary MacKilliop ( which is what our new Leader book and Girl books show as the first lesson), but your Wreath IV pages are different. What am I missing? Do you have Zeal/ St. Mary MacKilliop? I would MUCH rather copy your wonderful work than try to come up with it on my own ... In fact! After you answer this question, would it be too much to ask you to whip up some fabulous cupcakes and send them on down to GA in time for our 7pm LF meeting this Thursday, too???? ;) Of course, I'm joking (maybe! LOL). Thanks so much in advance for your help!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

You can find my Comment Policy and Guidelines here. Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I love hearing from my visitors here at Shower of Roses! May God bless you all!

Note: All comments are moderated.