Thursday, March 29, 2012

{pretty, happy, funny, real}

~ Capturing the context of contentment in everyday life. ~

{pretty}

They may not be the "Café-Mocha-Vodka-Valium Latte To Go" that I requested on Facebook earlier this week, after surviving two almost completely sleepless nights, but these two pretty little boxes of dairy-free yumminess have kept me going.  

 In addition to caring for sick children and multiple trips to the doctors office, I've somehow (God's grace!) managed to assemble a couple pretty new bookcases, keep up with the laundry, sort through the boys clothes, and meet with a few contractors for some projects we are having done this spring.  I'm also almost done painting the boys' bedroom.  If I owe you an email or response in the comment box, now you know why I've been so quiet online.  :)


{happy}

So SO happy that our sweet little guy is feeling better.   He gave me a little scare with his low grade fever late Saturday night and extra crankiness.   It didn't help that the nurse suggested over the phone that I take him to the ER, since I told her he had a hard time breathing while nursing due to his congestion.   With my husband out of town, a 45 minute drive to the ER, and our six other sick children sleeping in their beds, I wasn't sure what to do...  I hooked up the humidifier and held him all night, loading up the car Sunday morning to visit our doctors office arriving as soon as they opened, at noon.  Next time I will make sure to call and make an appointment first since they told me they didn't have an opening for 2 hours...  I was so exhausted and overwhelmed I started to cry.   When I told them that we live 45 minutes away they suggested I run some errands... "With 7 kids, most of whom are feeling sick??!!   I'll wait in the car, thank you.  Please call me if you can get us in sooner."   My cell phone rang 10 minutes later... They could squeeze us in.   Thank you God!!

My next prayer was answered when, after leaving the doctors office with the suggestion of watching for new fevers/signs of infection, I headed to the grocery store to purchase some vitamins/medicines.   It was raining and  just as I said a quick little prayer as I parked the car in the packed parking lot that "I could just see someone I know and have them watch the kids for a few minutes"... friends parked right across from me and stayed with my car/kids so I could run in and out real quick.  Whew!!


{funny}

Last night I decided that it was time to take the older girls back to see the doctor since, despite all of my efforts, they had gotten worse and their fevers had returned.   When we arrived at the office they handed Twinkle Toes' and Chiquita' face masks to wear while we were in the waiting room.   Of course, our little Rose (who is all about the accesories!) had to have one as well.  She is still running around wearing her face mask !   


{real}


My poor girls are both really sick.   Wheezing... Pneumonia... and most likely RSV....  

Twinkle Toes' oxygen levels were the lowest and they gave her a breathing treatment right away.   I was sent to the pharmacy for antibiotics and medicines for both Twinkle Toes and Chiquita.  Shortly after I arrived home a nebulizer was delivered as well, so I can keep giving the girls breathing treatments as needed. 

It is spring break this week and our pediatrician is out of town, but I am so thankful for the other doctors in his office, and that the girls are already feeling a little better today.  I am also thankful that Hubby will be home a week from tomorrow.  It is turning out to be a really long and hard three weeks! 

Thank you all for your prayers! 


Visit Like Mother, Like Daughter for more pictures of contentment

33 comments:

  1. Oh Jessica
    prayers for speedy recoveries for all
    and sleep for you
    blessings
    karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. You sure are having a rough time! Hang in there, flying solo is hard enough but adding sick kids to the mix makes it even harder. I'm praying for you. In fact, I was wondering how you were holding up just the other night when our baby wouldn't sleep. She was having a rough time with the cold that her daddy brought back from the airplane this past weekend. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sending up prayers now! Hang in there :) Love, Lori

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how I could relate to this post...especially the part when the Drs. office suggested you "run errands" until they could work you in, "Uuuugghh!" Well, all this is perfect Lenten sacrificing for you to offer up, now isn't it?!
    God Bless You, Jessica, all that you do and I pray that your kiddos get well soon :)
    April

    ReplyDelete
  5. Praying for y'all!! I hope you have a very uneventful week until Hubby comes back ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. We did those breathing treatments 4-5X daily for years. Be prepared for the hyper and aggressive behavior the drugs induce. I hope they get better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohhh, Jessica, I'll be praying for you....we've got the other kind of virus thing....throwing up for days and days and days....

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a rough week! I hope everyone is better soon (and that you don't get it!) Praise God for the little blessings ...friends and good medical care!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That sounds so completely awful! I still having a hard time processing how you managed to "assemble bookcases and. Foldand sort laundry" and all on such a limited diet!!!! God is with you for sure! Praying it ends soon and you can have a wonderful Holy Week and Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Praying for you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I pray everyone gets well soon and that you don't get it! I, for one, am tired of illness... By the way, that almond coconut milk looks good. I haven't seen that combo and will definitely have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's really hard. Saying a prayer for your family.

    ReplyDelete
  13. In my prayers...the aerosol can of saline works so fabulously for stuffy, hardly able to eat nursing babies. They hate it, but spray and let it sit for a minute and then use the aspirator. Amazing! You are probably already aware of that. Safe for any age. You have been through several Lents, IMO!!! God bless you and praying for speedy recoveries!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, you poor thing!!! Such a really hard time, it's never easy when the kids are sick. I'm glad Bud is better, praying he doesn't get RSV from the girls. I hope they're better soon too. I like the picture of him blowing bubbles. Our youngest (1 day younger than Bud) does the same thing! Cute, though it does soak the clothes :) Hang in there, we'll be praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a lot of little crosses that have been sent your family's way! I will definitely keep you all in prayer!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Prayers for you and your family! We will add you to our daily rosary intentions and stations of the cross!
    Blessings and prayers,
    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am so sorry! It's so tough when your kids are sick, and I only have 3! We had RSV and pneumonia this year too, my youngest spent 3 days in the hospital in an oxygen tent. I am praying for a quick recovery for your family, and some rest for you. I'm sure you need it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. oh I am so sorry!!I will pray for your family tonight. If I could, I would drop by with a big pot o' soup, an extra humidfier...and some chocolate for you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. We will add you and your family to our list of intentions during family prayers. Take care and God Bless! Only a few more days... hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Reading your post flooded me with many memories. I had the exact same conversation in regards to my now 6 week old with the nurse on Base who told me to go the ER too. It's so scary sitting up all night listening to your little one not be able to breathe. Never understood why babies can only breathe through their nose!
    A lot of times sickness, extreme weather, or something breaks when hubby is away...you're so strong! Hope everyone gets better fast. This year has been tough sickness wise for our family it seems like for many other families across the United States too :(

    ReplyDelete
  21. Dear sweet Jessica , we are praying for all of you - offering our Stations of the Cross for your family today. Love, Emma in Norway

    ReplyDelete
  22. You are a strong mama. Especially with husband gone. I am not sure how you hold up. Thankful you do! Hope kiddos feel better soon.
    your baby is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Tears in my eyes as I read this, Jessica; I trust that by now you've seen more improvement in everyone's health - give them my good wishes from New Zealand :) And you look after yourself, too, my dear. Love from Valerie.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh, Jessica! I started crying reading this. I have been there so many times with a traveling husband. Please take of yourself... easier said than done... but necessary! Prayers for a happy, healthy family reunited with Daddy! Peace, Annita +JMJ+

    ReplyDelete
  25. Praying that everyone is on the mend now and that the rest of the time your dh is gone will pass quickly. My husband is on the road as a truck driver and the days he is home fly by but when he's gone the days go by so slow.

    ReplyDelete
  26. been praying for you. love how blond Bud is. so cute and such beautiful eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  27. So sorry you have all this to handle while hubby has to be gone.praying everyone turns a corner now.

    ReplyDelete
  28. How thrilling to have found a resource of other Catholic Moms. I have a blog that posts a link up once a month for other bloggers. It’s called “Pay It Forward” and it highlights your posts or the posts of other bloggers. Click on over and check it out and link up one of your own posts. . Plus, if your looking for Easter activities for children and families you’ll definitely need to stop by. Please pop over and link up with other Catholics moms. http://alife-sizecatholicblog.blogspot.com/2012/03/pay-it-forward-april-2012.html

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh, Jessica! You poor thing! It tough when the kids are sick, and its tough when the hubs is gone, but at the same time.... that's the time to drink, eat chocolate and cry! (a little, at least!) I've also prayed for a friend to show up in a parking lot to watch the kids, ands its been answered almost every single time! I'll say a prayer for you that the kids get better quickly -- one of mine had pnemonia a few years ago, and it was scary at first, but he recovered very quickly-- and that the reainder of time with your husband gone goes quickly as well!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I'm so sorry to hear all you've been going through. You are an amazing mama! I hope everyone is starting to feel better. We will be praying for you. I hope you Holy Week is filled with many blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  31. So sorry to hear your little ones are so sick, Ms. Jessica! :( It must be extremely difficult juggling that, a baby, and taking care of the rest of the gang. Praying for speedy recovery and smooth sailing from here on out!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Don't you so long for doctors who make house calls?? Thanks for joining!

    ReplyDelete

You can find my Comment Policy and Guidelines here. Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I love hearing from my visitors here at Shower of Roses! May God bless you all!

Note: All comments are moderated.