Wednesday, August 6, 2014

The Big Girls' Bedroom {and How We Organize Their American Girl Dolls and Clothes}


After I posted pictures of the girls' paintings yesterday I realized I should have taken a picture of them hanging on the wall!  I still need to purchase a couple white frames, but we temporarily used some tack adhesive to hang them in their bedroom. I also realized that I never did share pictures of their bedroom last summer, after we assembled their new bunk bed and they switched rooms with their younger sister.  Since we spent last week deep cleaning and reorganizing their bedroom, now is the perfect time to take some pictures to share! 


This bedroom is still the original "Buttercream" color that I originally choose from Ellen Kennon Full Spectrum Paints when we added on the bedrooms and bathrooms about 10 years ago. I've had to touch it up here and there over the years, but it still looks so bright and cheery. 

"Buttercream is a soft yellow with just enough pink to give it a rosy glow without turning peach. It is a mental, intellectual color promoting creativity, logic and organization. Reminiscent of sunshine, it also encourages hope and optimism."


The girls dresser is one that I was given. I had it painted and the knobs replaced by the same lady who painted my dining room hutch.  The "Thank Heaven for Little Girls" sign reminds me of my Grandmother, who would always sing that song to me as a child, and was purchased from a local boutique when the girls were younger.


Caroline (Christmas '12), Felicity (8th birthday/2011), Elizabeth (Christmas '10) and Saige (10th Birthday/2013)

Twinkle Toes keeps her American Girl Dolls on top of the dresser along with her doll cradle.

Kaya (Christmas '12), Josefina (Christmas '10), and Kirsten (7th Birthday/Apr. 2012)

Chiquita keeps her dolls, along with Kaya's Animals and Josefina's bed, on top of the short bookcase in between the foot of their bunk bed and the bedroom door.


When I had to give up our little school room to the younger boys last summer (sniff, sniff . . . I'm still recovering from the loss and struggling to find new homes for everything), I moved two of the newer white bookcases to the big girls' bedroom. The taller bookshelf is filled with quite a few books from my  childhood, as well as some of the girls own favorites.  The bottom shelf has Magazine Files for all of their Lap Books (both completed and in-progress) as well as three-ring binders that contain their individual Holy Card Collections.


We usually hang a crucifix above each bed, but the girls' crucifixes are still hanging above the beds in their old room. Using a couple holes that were already in the wall, I "temporarily" hung a crucifix and our Our Lady of Mount Carmel picture (also from the school room) last summer.


The smaller bookshelf was transformed into their American Girl Clothes Closet and Bookshelf!
We lowered the shelf and placed a tension rod near the top which gave us a perfect place to hang all the pretty dresses and nightgowns for their dolls.


Last year I ordered some tiny wooden hangers at the suggestion of a friend (Thank you, Aimee!) and they are just darling!


I ordered a mix of the standard Doll Clothes Hangers and some Doll Clothes Hangers with Clips.


The girls line up all the dolls coordinating shoes against the back of the bookcase behind the dresses. 


The "closet" is still the same - closet organizers along one of their bedroom walls.  Now that they are getting older I wish I would have left a spot for long dresses and skirts when I installed the closet organizers four years ago.  


Behind the doors the girls keep a couple boxes with all the rest of the doll accessories, a couple boxes with letters from pen pals, some craft supplies, a couple boxes with all their favorite artwork, and their binders from Little Flowers and Along the Alphabet Path.  Inside the drawers below they keep their hats, craft supplies, and the bottom drawer has their few LEGO sets. 

The girls keep their fall and winter clothes on the top bars for now, and have their summer skirts and dresses on the bottom bars. The Green Closetmaid Drawers are where the girls keep their summer shoes (one drawer each), their robes, all of their Calico Critter dolls and furniture, some craft supplies, and I actually think the top drawer is empty at the moment since the dolls that were in it are over in their little sisters room at the moment!  

Blessed Imelda(s) and St. Catherine of Siena Zelie Dolls and First Holy Communion Dolls from Saintly Silver 

I couldn't resist a close-up picture of some of their dolls on the shelf… You can also see their American Girl Dolls dressed up as saints here


Underneath the bunk bed we have three storage boxes: one for all of their dress-up clothes, one for hand-me-downs that are still too big, and one for their shoes/winter boots. 


Despite the little defects (including gray spots/paint overspray on one of the headboards which you can't even notice with it against the wall) I just LOVE the girls' bunk bed!  It is so beautiful and feminine with the lace finish and ROSES! 


Anyways, I hope you enjoyed this little tour of their bedroom. Now I have proof that it was actually clean for a couple days! Time to move on and see if we can tackle another room or two in this house before our school year begins. . .