Wednesday, March 4, 2015

The Ten Commandments Lap Book {Catechism Craft with Free Printables!}


And Moses returned from the mount, carrying the two tables of the testimony in his hand, written on both sides, and made by the work of God; the writing also of God was graven in the tables. 
~ Exodus 32:15-16

Our seven year old is currently preparing to make his First Confession and First Holy Communion. At the beginning of the school year we spent some time studying the Seven Sacraments and creating a "Seven Sacrament Stained Glass Window." He has also been working on studying and memorizing The Ten Commandments.

The Ten Commandments were written by God on stone tablets and given to Moses on Mount Sinai. The first three commandments show us what we must do for love of God and the remaining seven show us what we must do for love of neighbor. In addition to our daily prayers and kind deeds, we love and serve God by keeping His commandments and those of His Church.

Back in 2009 I posted pictures of our first Ten Commandments Lap Book which I made back then with one of the older boys.  Last November I decided to make some modifications and printable documents for my current 2nd grader. At the time it also tied in nicely to our History studies (we had just finished reading the chapter on "The Law of Moses" from Augustus Caesar's World) so the girls all asked if they could make Ten Commandment Lap Books too. I'm finally getting around to posting pictures along with the links to my documents to share!

This Ten Commandments Lap Book provides a perfect opportunity for reviewing the commandments with children, as well as a helpful resource for memorization!

Supplies (For Each Student)


Directions

Open the file folder and find the midpoint. Fold each side in to meet that point creating a “shutter fold.” Trim the top edge to resemble stone tablets.


Title the cover of the Lap Book with “The Ten Commandments” or you may choose to use a coloring page, glued to only one of the front flaps, to create an image for the cover.




Create 10 small “mini-books” with the 5.5”x3” rectangles of grey cardstock. Fold each rectangle in half and then fold each side in to the midpoint. Trim the top edge of each to resemble stone tablets.



Write, trace, or glue the Ten Commandments inside the ten grey tablets.

1. I am the Lord, thy God; thou shalt not have strange gods before Me.
2. Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain.
3. Remember to keep holy the Lord's Day.
4. Honor thy father and thy mother.
5. Thou shalt not kill.
6. Thou shalt not commit adultery.
7. Thou shalt not steal.
8. Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor.
9. Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's wife.
10. Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's goods.



Write, trace, or glue a bible verse, prayer, or quote to include inside the file folder. We chose Exodus 32: 15-16.




Glue the tablets to the inside of the file folder in order from 1-10, leaving extra space in the center bottom for a bible verse. Glue the bible verse to the inside of the folder.



Number the outside of the each tablet.





A few more pictures of the completed Lap Book… 



The Ten Commandments Song

First, I must honor God, 
Second, honor His name, 
Third, honor His day, keep holy, this will be my aim. 
Forth, I must be obedient, 
Fifth, be kind and true, 
Sixth, be pure in all I say and see and hear and do. 
Seventh, I must be honest, 
Eighth, be truthful in all things I say. 
Ninth, be pure in mind and heart, in all I think and desire each day. 
Tenth, I must be satisfied, not be jealous, come what may. 
These are God's Ten Commandments, these I must obey.


Additional Reading, Coloring Books, and Songs on the Ten Commandments:

The Ten Commandments by Lawrence G. Lovasik
Ten Commandments: God's Laws for Us by Daniel A. Lord
I Believe: The Creed, Confession, and the Ten Commandments for Little Catholics
My Confession for Little Catholics
A Little Book about Confession for Children
My Confession Book
Living the Ten Commandments for Children
Exodus
Old Testament Scenes Stained Glass Coloring Book
The Commandments Coloring Book
The Ten Commandments Coloring Book
24 Catholic Songs for Children Coloring Book
Sing-a-long Songs for Catholic Children (DVD and CD)
The New Catholic Picture Bible
The Catechism In Pictures (pictured in top photo)

O my God, I am heartily sorry for having offended Thee, and I detest all my sins, because I dread the loss of Heaven and the pains of Hell, but most of all because they offend Thee, my God, Who art all-good and deserving of all my love. I firmly resolve, with the help of Thy grace to confess my sins, to do penance and to amend my life. Amen.