Thursday, October 29, 2015

Quick & Easy Homemade Paper Crowns


Last year I had elaborate plans to make the girls lace princess crowns (like these) for their saint costumes using lace ribbon, fabric stiffener, and glitter paint. I ran out of time and the bag of supplies is still sitting in my closet...

Instead, just before our party started, I printed out a couple templates and quickly cut out crowns from some gold/silver poster board I happened to have on hand. They were so easy to make and turned out lovely!

Supplies: 

Gold/Silver Poster Board - gold on one side, silver on the other (or use whatever color you have)
Acrylic Gems (optional) 
Paper Crown Templates - I used this template and this template
Pencil
Scissors
Stapler and Staples  (or use a Hot Glue Gun)


First I cut out the template and traced it onto the poster board until it was long enough to wrap my daughters head and connect together, overlapping a bit. I cut just inside of my traced lines so that they wouldn't show while wearing it - whether on the front or inside, you can see both. I overlapped the edges a bit and stapled it together. A hot glue gun would have looked a little better, but I was short on time! ;) 

St. Margaret of Scotland - Victorian Rose Princess Dress

My oldest daughter decorated her crown with acrylic gems. 


My youngest daughter left her crown plain gold for Our Lady of Mount Carmel and we created a smaller crown for Baby Jesus using the scraps from cutting out her crown. It worked out perfectly! 


 You can scroll through all our past Saint Costumes here or listed here