Tuesday, October 11, 2016

When Calls the Heart Birthday Party


Just before our new school year began, our oldest daughter turned thirteen! Seems like just yesterday we had those first three babies in three years... I blinked and now we have three teens! They really do grow up fast. 

The girls and I have been enjoying watching Hallmark's When Calls the Heart series on Netflix this year. For the 13th birthday celebration we decided to: 

#PartyLikeAHeartie

We started the day with a trip to town. The birthday girl ordered a White Chocolate Mocha for her birthday drink from Dutch Bros. Coffee (have you seen the LEGO Dutch Bros. her brother made?) and I "cheated" on my AIP diet with a Coconut Milk Chai Tea (oh how I have missed my favorite Oregon Chai!), then we headed to the mall to try and find her some new clothes. Not an easy task at this age, but we had fun! 

 

After we got back home, I quickly baked a heart shaped cake (the pan is currently 39% off!) and pulled together some birthday treats. 


Meanwhile, the birthday girl had a blast visiting with out-of-state friends, including her penpals over at JoyFilledFamily on FaceTime, and all the kids finally got to "meet" Charlotte's kids! Someday we will make the trip to Texas so our youngest can meet his godparents in person... 





.: Chalkboard Birthday Banner :. 

"School is in session, Mr. Thornton, if you’d like to speak, please raise your hand like all the other children."






.: Heartie Party Treats :.



Coal Valley Cookies 
Canadian Maple Leaf & Coal Lumps

“I’m staying here in Coal Valley. This is where I belong.” ~ Jack


Mountie Jack's Trail Mix

Abigail: Hope is in the air.  Jack: That… and a little coal dust.


Miss Thatcher's Schoolbook Cookies

“The schoolhouse doesn’t really matter to me. It’s the children.”
~ Elizabeth



When Calls the Heart Strawberry & Cream Tea Sandwiches

"As a teacher, I’m drawn to the truth. Numbers don’t lie, and facts are indeed facts, but sometimes, we need to trust each other, because the truth isn’t always what it appears to be. Sometimes an oil can found in a fire is not what seems to be, and, sometimes, love comes just in time to save your life." 


.: Birthday Dinner :. 

Elizabeth's Shepherd's Pie

At her home, Elizabeth tells Jack about the situation with Hattie. Elizabeth describes figuring out children like figuring out a puzzle. Jack says that Elizabeth will make a great mother because not only can she figure out children but she makes great shepherd’s pie.
“Isn’t this where you’re supposed to tell me I’ll make a great dad someday?” he asks. Elizabeth says she is not sure if he will make a great dad…because she’s never tried his shepherd’s pie!


Abigail's Buttermilk Biscuits

Would a hot biscuit make you feel better? ~ Abigail


I had every intention of making Shepherd's Pie, along with all the ingredients, but I ran out of time so we had chicken and grilled corn on the cob instead...


.: Mountie Jack :. 




"Do you think we could dispense with the "Constable", and could I persuade you to just call me "Jack"?"

Our little guys took turns wearing it during the party.


.: Birthday Gifts :. 

May I let you in on a little secret, Albert? Girls don’t care if a gift is fancy, not even girls who used to be rich...What we care about are gifts that come from the heart. ~ Elizabeth


So your cooking is only rivaled by your sewing? ~ Jack

From Mom: Apron, Sweethearts Pot Mitt, Heart Cakelet Baking Pan, and Sewing Basket



Oh my dear, never commit your heart unless there is jewelry. 
~ Rosemary




From Dad: Diamond Heart Necklace


From Brothers: Homemade Cards and LEGO Vacation Getaways

From Sisters: Homemade Cards and Six Plays for Girls and Boys to Perform


From Dad & Mom: Notebook, Autumn Seasonal Book of Days, and Colored Pencils


And, of course, the Collector's Editions of Season 1 and Season 2
... maybe she'll receive Season 3 for Christmas!



.: Birthday Cake :. 

I apologize for embarrassing you, but, uh, I think you’re underestimating your cake. It looks delicious. ~ Billy


Lemon Berry Heart Cake 
(Baked in this Elegant Heart Bundt Pan)




Happy 13th Birthday!